- Africa Access was founded in 1989 to help schools, public libraries, and parents improve the quality of their children's collection on Africa
- Africa Access Review, our online database, contains annotations and reviews of children's books written by university professors, librarians, and teachers most of whom have lived in Africa and have graduate degrees in African Studies.
- In 1992 Africa Access persuaded the Outreach Council of the African Studies Association to establish the Children's Africana Book Awards. Since 1992, more than sixty awards have been presented to authors and illustrators.
- Africa Access supports an Africa-oriented book club and provides field tested reading and research activities.
- Africa Access helps writers locate African Studies scholars who can evaluate manuscripts and provide important feedback and suggestions. Requests for consulting services should be sent to: